Monday, June 21, 2021

Leyte--Censorship Not Lifted

U.SS. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Friday 31 August 1945, 10:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet. It is the end of another month. One of these days, the end of the month will be the time for sending out statements and paying bills. Will I love it!
     Had another busy morning but had nothing to do in the afternoon, field day you know. So I read for awhile and then showered and dressed for dinner. After that a little cribbage until movie time and after that here I am. Tonight's movie was "Salome, Where She Danced." She wasn't a bad little number but the movie itself stank. Guess we can't have everything, can we?
     I got letters from you marked the 22nd and 24th and one from my mother. I still haven't written anyone. I owe practically everyone. One of these days I'll get ambitious and catch up.
     Your letter of the 22nd was the letter Libby sent to you, so there isn't much for me to say there. She is really worried about Nat though she doesn't write like she is. At least that is my impression.
     I'm glad the Bergmans arrived. Now you'll company until you leave Lake Arrowhead.
     Tell "I" he has a refund coming. He gets an extra whiff of gas the next time I work on him.
     I really haven't thought too much about an office. I'll be back in the states with time to serve in the Navy. That'll give me a chance to look around. At least that's the way I've got it doped out now.
     Censorship has not been lifted as yet but as soon as it is I'll have lots to tell you.
     In the meantime darling keep hoping and maybe one day real soon the happy news that I'm coming home will become a reality. Night my love until tomorrow.
Devotedly,
Gil

Qualification report dated on this day, but not mentioned in the letter.





No comments:

Post a Comment