Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Leyte--Maybe Censorship Will Be Lifted

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 27 August 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another busy morning and afternoon, but by three o'clock I was all through so I retired to my room and finished Edna Ferber's "Great Son." Nothing to get excited about.   Then I showered, dressed for chow. And now having enjoyed a hearty meal, here I am.
     How is Arrowhead? Is the house comfortable and conveniently located? Gosh, I wish I was there so I could lug the lunch you had packed down to the beach and take the kids into the water. Next year it's a date.
     The captain's relief has fifty-four points. I have a hunch that the admiral won't allow the captain to leave until another relief comes out. So it goes.
     No mail today so I have little more to write about. In a few days VJ day will be here and maybe censorship will be lifted. Then there'll be lots of things I'll be able to write about.
     The movie tonight is a Roy Rogers western, "Bells of Rosarita." I don't have another thing to do so I guess I'll go.
     Goodnight darling until tomorrow.

Love,
Gil



No comments:

Post a Comment