Saturday, June 5, 2021

Leyte--Prisoners at Large

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday, 26 August 1945, 10:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Today was Sunday and I really took a day off. During the USO show on Friday night two PALs (prisoners at large) broke into our armory, stole some guns and ammunition, commandeered a VP and headed for the beach. One gave himself up yesterday and the other was apprehended on the beach last night. This morning we sent a picket boat with an armed guard to bring the prisoner back, and I went along for the ride.
     By the time we got back it was 11:30 so I had just enough time to wash up before chow. Then at 12:30 my tug arrived and "Buzz" Brosseau, the supply officer who relieved Tom Glass, and I shoved off for the beach and a few beers. After a couple of drinks we thumbed a ride over to the 118th General Hospital and visited with Simmie. He and a lot of others there have orders to go up to Japan and are leaving soon. Bet he beats me up there.
     At five we boarded our boat and arrived at the Ocelot at 6:00 PM just in time for a scrumptious turkey dinner with all the trimmings.
     Then to the movies. Tonight we had a real oldie, "It Happened One Night" with Gable and Colbert. Everyone enjoyed it.
     The only news today is that Jack Hartfield, our skipper, has his relief aboard. He hadn't received his orders this morning, but I think he's gotten them since then. I haven't had a chance to ask him. Anyway he should be leaving in a week or so.
Well here's hoping that maybe my relief will pop up one day real soon and that when my orders do come I can up and leave. It sure beats waiting around for weeks or months as Cox did.
     The mail brought me a sweet card from you and a letter from Libby. I haven't "pinned up" anything Sweet. And of course I'm thinking of you and only you.
     No more for now Darling. So goodnight and pleasant dreams.

Love,
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment