Thursday, June 24, 2021

Leyte--Censorship Relaxed

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Saturday 1 September 1945, 10:30 PM

Dearest Darling,
     And now begins a new month. Today has been hot and sultry and I did have my usual busy morning. I spent this afternoon bringing the wardroom books up to date and closing them for last month. After eleven months on this job I finally convinced the Captain to appoint a new treasurer and what happens but I get elected as caterer. Instead of handling the money, I'll have to prepare the menus, and supervise the wardroom, officer's quarters and the stewards who work in officer's country. One consolation is that a new caterer is elected every two months and cannot be re-elected unless he is willing.
     At 5:00 P.M. I showered and dressed for dinner. After chow we played cribbage and then to the movies. We had "Nob Hill," with George Raft and Sally Blaine. Not a bad movie but nothing too exciting.
     Censorship rules have been relaxed to the extent that we can now say where we are but not where we are going. From the enclosed pictures you can guess where we are. If you'll look on a large map you'll find San Pedro (or Pablo) Bay in the Northern part of Leyte Gulf. We are anchored in the bay about 12 miles south of Tacloban which is the capital of Leyte. When I've mentioned using the tug I usually went there or to Tulosa which is about 8 miles east on Leyte. We are really closer to Samar and there is an excellent officers club there and also a large enlisted men's recreation area. The only objection is that one is confined to the area and there are no roads to go places and do things. Simmie is about 2 miles north of Tulosa and I've already been past Dulag which is 20 miles north of Tulosa. This town is rather primitive and the civilians are poor and live in filth and squalor. However the Navy Club is nice and is open at night which explains its attraction over the others that secure at 5:00 P.M.
     Has Leon left yet? If he has write him and if he hasn't tell him to look for the Ocelot when he reports in. We will be in that neck of the woods one of these days. By the way soon there may be no mail for five days or so but I know you'll understand.
I got four letters today, two from you and one each from Mike and my sister Libby. I was glad that Nat's operation is over and that all went well.
     Maybe we won't stay up north long. I have good and valid reasons but can't discuss them as yet. Anyway there is a good chance of us heading home in a month or two and I personally feel it would be a safe bet. Anyway the Ocelot is an old ship and would be one of the first to be decommissioned when the program gets underway.
     Please darling don't be too unhappy or pessimistic. This sudden end of the war has disrupted the rotation plan and we may be apart a month or two longer this way. But it is over and I'll be a civilian again a lot quicker than I ever dreamed a month ago. Points for sea duty will be given in a couple of months and I bet that fathers will also get extra points. Anyway I believe I'll be out by March but I'll be home months before that.
     Goodnight my love, I do miss you and need you and pray than soon we can talk things over instead of this long range correspondence.
Yours forever
Gil

Gil's Photos of Leyte





















No comments:

Post a Comment