Monday, December 14, 2015

Football

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
 U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
1 October 1944, 10:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, here I am again. This has been just another day aboard. Saw four patients this AM and spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon making up some routine reports due the first of the month. Showered about 4:30 and then went topside to relax. Played a game called "football." It was quite interesting. A board is marked off like a field and a 52 card deck is used for determining the plays. After you decide whether you wish to pass, run, or kick you turn up the next card in the deck and then look on a chart which gives you the result of the play. For example: I chose to pass and turned up the 3 of diamonds. Under pass, the 3 diamonds shows a gain of 6 yards. Catch on? Really is quite amusing.
     I've ordered additional recreational material for the crew and will pick it up in the morning. By the way we had a very good movie aboard today, "She Loved a Soldier" with Paulette Goddard. It is quite cool and comfortable sitting on the fo'castle, and I must say I am enjoying our movies much more since they are being shown topside.
     How are you getting along with Tante and Dolores? It doesn't sound to be working out as well as you had hoped. Really, as long as they don't promise to be permanent, I'd keep looking. You recall, when Edna came to us the situation was no better than it is now. You never can tell who will turn up. Anyway it still is your home, not theirs and such things as parties for Dolores seem to be expecting a little too much. However, you're the boss and you'll have to make the final decision.
     How are Linda's feet these days? Is she back at dancing school? What about Norma? What does she do to pass the time away? Besides yours, I wrote five letters last night. Soon I'll be all caught up. Nothing more for now. I'll finish in the morning after mail call. Good night Sweet, pleasant dreams. I love you.

Monday 2 October 1944, 9:30 AM
     Good morning, darling, hope you slept well. Read until after midnight last night and slept soundly until I was awakened for breakfast this AM. Nothing new to tell about this morning. The mail didn't bring anything but a New Year greeting from Temple Beth Shalom on a Uniongram form signed by Nan Goldman. Am I surprised! Guess I'll have to acknowledge it.
     Sweet, do you remember the night we spent up at Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood? After this war we'll go to other winter resorts and enjoy the snow. Boy, wouldn't I like some now. Have work to do now dear, so till tonight so long.
Love
Gil






No comments:

Post a Comment