Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Aquarium and Beaches

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 24 September 1944, 9:30 PM
Dearest Wife,
     Just saw "Ghost Breakers," a typical Olsen and Johnson movie. I got a big bang out of it though you probably wouldn't like it.
     I hope Norma is better now. Didn't get any mail this afternoon except the service edition of the Outlook. However Sunday is a bad day for mail so I'm looking to tomorrow morning.
     Had liberty so after 1:00 PM mail call, Ambie and I hopped a bus with no destination in view. Went to the end of the line, took another bus and went on. This drive was along the beach and very scenic. Came back on the same bus and stopped at an aquarium of tropical fish. Wish you and the kids could see it. All sizes and such shapes; "nightmares" could describe some of the fish very well. Got back to the ship at 7:15 PM and so another liberty.
     Again dear, don't worry about me. I'll be quite safe. Our duties won't bring us into actual combat and I expect you'll be hearing from me more or less regularly.
     About Xmas cards--I am working on something now. If it materializes all the crew and officers will have Xmas greetings to send home free of charge.
     I played back Dave's record which had a personal message from him to bolster my morale (supposedly) and a cute story on the other side. As soon as our public address system is in operation I'll play it so the whole ship can hear it.
     As far as studying after the war is over, where I go will depend on what is available. How can I say now where I want to go when I don't know myself? Good night dear.

Monday 9:00 AM
     No mail this morning. I hope Norma is better. Got a letter from your mother and mine yesterday along with yours which I failed to mention. Here it is 11:00 o'clock and this is all I've gotten written. The next patient will wait until I'm through.
    Sweet, are you feeling better this morning? Hope you got a decent night's sleep. Do you remember how we went sailing on Lake Arrowhead and how scared you were? Well we're going again and let's try sailing once more. Maybe you'll have more confidence in me.
     I'd better close and make sure this gets off today. Bye Sweetheart until tonight.

Your loving husband
Gil




1 comment:

  1. The 1944 Olsen and Johnson movie would have been "Ghost Catchers".
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036861/reference

    ReplyDelete