Friday, December 18, 2015

Shrimp and Chocolate Pie

Lt (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
 USS Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 3 October 1944, 10:30 PM
My Darling,
     How is everything today? I didn't receive any letters today but I did get those photos of you. I still can't make my mind up as to which one I like the best. First I like one and then there is something I like in the other. I'll play favorites, one day one and the next the other.
     This has been a routine day. A little dentistry, a number of routine reports and the regular duties to perform. Been trying to cut down on my food intake but at every meal there is something else I like. For example for lunch today fried shrimp and for dessert chocolate cream pie. So it goes. We had a swell movie tonight, "Mr. Skeffington" and it was every bit as good as you said it was. After the picture I looked in at sick bay. One of the officers turned in with a broken finger that he got playing golf. It seems he didn't get out of the way of a ball.
     Well Sweet, are you still teaching or did you have to drop it because of no one to stay with our girls? I do hope that the incident didn't upset you too much and that you'll proceed to forget all about it. I'm certain that from your letter you were not happy with that woman or the arrangement and that a change was inevitable. As far as Mary is concerned I would proceed to forget it. She is just another woman with some idle gossip. She is still a friend of yours. I sincerely believe that
     Is Linda's behavior improving any? I'm sure that as soon as you settle down she will too. Please Honey don't fly off the handle and yell at her. She is a good child and such action just upsets you more and makes her more ornery.
     How is Norma taking all of this? The poor darling is probably a little young to fathom it all and must be quite bewildered.
     Please, sweetheart, write me and assure me that everything is under control. I won't be hearing regularly from you nor you from me for many more days. It will be weeks and maybe a couple of months before you hear again. So while I still can hear regularly, I must know that all is well and under control. It is past eleven and I 'm going to turn in. I won't send this letter off until I've seen the morning mail tomorrow. Good night my Sweet and pleasant dreams. I love you.

Your Gil

Wednesday 4 October 1944, 9:00 AM
     Good morning, honey. Now that the morning mail is here and I know that you've gotten over you last aggravation I feel much better. What you went through really upset me.
     I'll try and answer your question and then I must get this letter off. I don't know how long I'll be out. I might be for a whole year and then again it could only be 3-4 months. We'll just hope for the best. Miss Rike is just what you think she is and would be very pleased to hear from you. She is quite nice as is her mother and they have made Ambie and me feel quite at home each time that we've dropped in.
     Sounds like you have the house looking very nice. Wish I could be there to push the piano and sofa around for you but I'll just postpone that to a later date.
     I do wish you would try to get out Sweet. You must do it if you expect to have friends. No one is going to come looking for you and drag you out.
     Darling do you remember how I'd come home from the office and want us to go out every night right after dinner? Well dear, after the war just to be home with you will be all I'll want. I close dear with oodles of hugs and twice as many kisses.
Love,
Gil







No comments:

Post a Comment