Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Cards

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday, 22 February 1945, 7:30 PM
My Darling,
     Had a busy day today. Worked until 11:30 AM. When I got back to my room I found a package from you. It contained some socks, Reader's Digests, films and a recording. I haven't had a chance to play the record yet. Will do so after the movie.
     After lunch I censored some mail and had some more appointments. Finished at 3:00 PM and read until 4:00 PM. Then a few of us went ashore for a few beers. We got back at 5:30, in time for dinner.
     In the afternoon I got a letter from you. The Xmas card I sent to Mrs. Brown at the Tower Building was returned. Guess she finally quit (or got fired).
     The movie last night was lousy. It was "Eve Knew Her Apples." Tonight we have "One Body for Many" with Bela Lugosi. No further comment is necessary.
     You letter is marked the 15th so there are a few letters still to come. Something is mixed up. The Valentine I sent was to add to your collection. I sent Libby one as well. Did I address it wrong or what? Let me know because I want one to have as a memento.
     Yes darling, Dave's guess was right (I hope). The technique I'm referring to is surgical. I've been doing lots of it and some that I never did in private practice. When I get back to civilian life I have certain ideas that are radically different from what I had before I joined the Navy and I have some facts to back me up.
     Now that you are busy again with your social life you seem to be happier. I sometimes think that when you're teaching you lose out on your contacts and are more lonesome. That's the way it seems from your letters.
     No more for now so good night and I'll be seeing you again (in my dreams) soon.

Love,
Gil

The Valentine




No comments:

Post a Comment