Tuesday, August 30, 2016

WAC

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 26 February 1945, 7:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Back to the old "grind" again. Worked all morning and afternoon until 3:00 PM. Then I censored some mail, read a little, showered and dressed for dinner.
     The mail brought two letters of the 19th in the morning and eight letters from 5th to 13th in the afternoon. All from you. I should be about all caught up now on your back letters though there are still a few on their way.
     Sorry you missed Abe Weinberg. However I doubt that there was much he could have told you that you'd like to know. As for Hansen, if he gets anywhere near Santa Monica I am sure that he will contact you.
     Looks like Ruth is still the same and there is nothing that you can do about it. Don't spend much on a gift for Libby. Those bags I sent were expensive and with the dough Nat is making, a couple of cheap hankies was very little from her.
     Mary and Willie probably had similar trouble before we knew them and will continue the same way forever more. I don't place much stock in her saying she's through or even his leaving her. You wait and see.
     "The Apostle" is on my book shelf. I've never read it nor can I find anyone else who wants to. Yes I know Ruth.
     If I ever get to the Philippines I'd like to pick up some nice things but from what I hear the Japs have probably ransacked it clean and the men who are already there will do a good job cleaning out what is left.
     The "heat rash" isn't serious nor does it bother me except just when I turn in. It stings a little but some sunshine usually clears it up.
     I'm not surprised about Nina's not liking the WACs. She has to compete with many much younger and in many cases prettier girls and has to take orders from many who are much less qualified than she is. All of this tends to make her wish she were civilian again. I thought she and Jack were all washed up, or is it strictly platonic now?
     After censoring many letters and from my own personal experiences I've come to the conclusion that much of the mail is to raise the morale of the civilians at home rather than the men away from home. I still think you are oversensitive and wait for others to make the first move, which they won't. Of course you and I expect more from Ruth and some of our friends because we always went out of our way for everyone but that won't work. If you want entertainment or recreation, or even companionship you've got to go and get is so--go get it!
     The Center doesn't sound like it's going over or am I wrong? If you ask me, Santa Monica has too many individual projects and as a result some are going to suffer. Some people don't realize that this making of money won't last forever and that the projects will need support as much later as now.
     I'm glad you're back on the Bulletin. You always like that kind of work and it will kill a couple of evening now and then.
     You're mentioning of taxes again. I'm enclosing some information that should come in handy. You should get a refund on 1944 when the final reckoning is made but leave it alone until I get back.
     Sorry you didn't enjoy the party for Leon. When I get back no one else will get a chance to dance with you or sit and talk either. I'll take care of that.
     Always excitement. Norma sure gave you a scare. Oh well, all's well that ends well. Hope from now on both kids stay well.
     No, I still won't write Leon until he answers my last letter--bet he'd wonder why I was writing if I did. Anyway I won't do it so forget it.
     Well that winds me up for tonight. I'll have to dash or I'll be late for the movie. We have "Lake Placid Serenade."
     Bye Honey, I'll be with you tomorrow.
Love
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment