Friday, August 26, 2016

Field Day

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 23 February 1945, 7:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Just another day like all the rest. Worked all morning and it was 11:30 before I was through. Then I went to my quarters, washed and went up for chow.
     After lunch I showed several visitors around. "Field day" this afternoon so no work.
     Got three letters today. Two from you marked the 7th and 16th of February and one from Libby. Besides you Libby is my most faithful correspondent.
     Can't understand why Al should get the $25 check for the interest on those bonds. Hope you've changed it so that you'll get the money directly. Now that you see some return on our investment I guess you'll agree and buy the other bonds as I suggested.
     You want to know what "field day" is. It compares to housecleaning day especially when you are expecting company (captain's inspection). The walls and decks are scrubbed and swabbed. Metal work is polished and everything is made ship-shape. Understand now?
     See "Woman in the Window," It isn't spooky but is full of suspense and has a most unusual ending? The movie tonight is "Experiment Perilous" and is supposed to be very good. We could stand a good picture for a change.
     See if you can get the December 1944 or January 1945 Oral Hygiene for me. There is something in one of those issues I'd like to read. As a matter of fact if you can find the publisher's address, write and ask them to put me on their mailing list again. It is gratis and I haven't received any issues since I reported for duty.
     Looks like our 1943 tax situation is all "screwed up." I still think that the payment you made is a duplicate of one I made while we were in Dago.
     Time for the movie now and besides there is nothing more to tell, bye darling until "manana" (spelling?)
Yours alone,
Gil

U.S.S. Ocelot 




No comments:

Post a Comment