Monday, August 29, 2016

Heat Rash

   Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 25 February 1945, 7:00 PM
My Darling,
     Well Honey, here I am again. Got to bed real late last night and slept in the morning until almost nine o'clock. Naturally I missed breakfast but had no trouble getting my usual juice and coffee.
     Didn't do any work today. As a matter of fact there is nothing new that I can write about. There was no mail at all this morning but this afternoon's delivery brought me letters from your mother and mine.
     One of our officers got a letter today, four days out of the states, from Texas, announcing the long overdue arrival of a baby girl and is he excited. Who wouldn't be? He has been on edge since the first of the month when the baby was due. Now he knows it's a girl but not another thing. Probably other letters written prior to the one he received today have the information and will arrive soon.
     My heat rash is back again so I got some more sun this afternoon. Guess I'll just have to include a half hour or so on the poop deck as regular part of my daily routine.
     Last night's movie "Enter Arsene Lupin" was just average. Tonight we have an oldie but a good one, "Louisiana Purchase."
     I'm a little tired and sleepy and my mind is a total blank so there is no more for now. Have I told you lately how much I love you? No? Well, I'd better do it now. You do remember the song "How Much Do I Love You" don't you? It goes "How deep is the ocean, how high is the sky." Yes darling that is how much I love you, only more.
     So long for tonight Sweetheart maybe I'll have some more dope tomorrow.

Yours alone,
Gil

An oldie




No comments:

Post a Comment