Saturday, August 13, 2016

Monotonous

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 16 February 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, here I am again. Today has been a nice, easy one. I coasted along without any strain. Just the same, to date I've done as much work as in any month since I've been aboard
    Today being "field day," I hadn't anticipated working in the afternoon. But as soon as I got comfortable in my rack with a Coronet, I was called down to my office. I took care of a couple of emergencies. Then I returned to my quarters for a little reading. After awhile I lay down my magazine and spent an educational half hour reading the Yearbook you sent me. There are some new thoughts on the control of decay that are very interesting and plenty of facts to back them up.
     Before I knew it, it was 5:15 PM and time to shower and dress for dinner. After eating we enjoyed the routine breeze on the bridge. The sunset, however, wasn't very colorful And here I am.
     I didn't get any mail today but hardly expected any after yesterday's haul. The movie tonight is an oldie "Double Indemnity." I believe you saw it after I shoved off.
     So darling endeth another uneventful day. I'm thankful that my temperament lends itself to my adapting myself to any existing conditions. This monotonous routine can and does get some guys down but not me.
     Good night Honey and pleasant dreams. Dream about us when we're together again. Ah, those happy days to come!

Love,
Gil

Coronet Magazine February 1945








No comments:

Post a Comment