Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Bird Mail

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 1 April 1945, 9:50 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Just got back from a lousy movie. It was the "Big Bonanza" with Dick Arlen and the less said about it the better.
     I was quite busy this morning but I was all through by 11:15. I went to my room and read some from "Burma Surgeon." It is quite interesting.
     After lunch six of us officers got together and went ashore for a few "short" ones. We had a couple of beers and then went shell hunting. I found a few to add to my collection.
     We got back at 5:25 so I had just enough time to shower and change for dinner. After dinner I returned to my room and lay down for a short nap. I awoke at 8:30 and dashed off to the movies. I'd missed the short subjects but the feature hadn't started It would have been just as well if I had slept right on through.
     The only mail I got today was a Dental Digest. Gosh I wish some of the "bird" mail would begin to come through. I've gotten one letter in about a week. I bet there is a whole stack for me somewhere.
     Well dear, I'm just a wee bit tight and besides there isn't a darn thing to write about so I guess I'll sign off.
     Good night sweetheart, I'll see you in my dreams.

Love,
Gil

"Bird" Mail



No comments:

Post a Comment