Monday, October 24, 2016

Counted $1,000,000

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 31 March 1945, 9:40 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, I just got back from the movie and here I am. The picture was a Charlie Chan murder story, "The Jade Mask," with Sidney Toler.
     This morning was the usual busy one. It was 11:30 before I was through. After lunch I began reading "Burma Surgeon" by Seagrave but I had some more appointments for the afternoon.
     I quit at 3:30 and began working on the wardroom mess statement. My money balanced out so the worst is over for another month.
After that I censored some mail, showered and dressed for dinner. After eating we had an unusually brilliant sunset which I shan't try to describe.
     Then the medical officer and I counted over a million dollars for the paymaster in order to certify a sum of money shown on his monthly statement. By then it was 7:30 so I went up on the fo'castle and enjoyed the cooling breeze until movie time. Now here I am as I told you before.
     No mail again today. Tomorrow I expect to hit the jackpot. The service this last week was very irregular and I'm way behind.
     Nothing new or different to say today Honey so I'll repeat those three little words, "I love you."
     Goodnight Honey, until tomorrow with hugs and kisses

Love,
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment