Thursday, November 10, 2016

7 Cans of Beer

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 10 April 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Honey here I be again. I was just a little high last night when I wrote so I didn't say much or did I?
     Today was just another busy day for the dental officer on the Ocelot. I worked all morning and after lunch I had the job of taking the liberty party ashore. I mustered the men at 12:30. We loaded the beer and men into the boat. By the time we got to the island it was almost 2:00 PM. At 4:00 PM we boarded our boat to return to the ship. Not much recreation for the men but still two hours off the ship and six or seven cans of beer does alter a man's outlook even though it is only temporary.
     We got back safe and dry but no sooner had we gotten aboard when it really began to rain. Did I say rain? Even if I said it poured I would be grossly minimizing the cloudburst. Anyway it didn't last too long and now everything is cooler and more refreshing.
     The movie tonight is "Here Come the Waves" with Crosby and Hutton, rated excellent. I do hope the rain doesn't return tonight to spoil the show though we usually sit through such disturbances.
     I got one letter from you. You say you're throat has been hoarse for some time. I bet you, your mother and Babs have something you've been passing around to each other.
     You talk about "the tire" but I don't know what it's all about. Must be some letters still to come.
     So Linda is teaching her mother a little about Judaism. Well it'll do you good too.
     That is thirty for tonight. Goodnight and pleasant dreams.

Love,
Gil


 Liberty Party



No comments:

Post a Comment