Monday, November 14, 2016

Farewell

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 14 April 1945, 6:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Honey, how are you tonight? I worked all morning as usual and this afternoon until 2:30. I got off some letters to Ethyl, Dave and Leon. Then I sat around and visited with several other officers and before I knew it was 5:30. So, I showered and dressed for dinner.
     One of the officers aboard is going back to the states for medical reasons and so tonight dinner will be in the form of a farewell party and we won't sit down until 6:45. That's why I'm writing now.
     I only got one letter today. It was from Ruth and Ernie. As usual I got a few chuckles out of it.
     The movie tonight is "The Great Flamarion" with Eric Von Stroheim. A murder movie. Last night's "Pan Americana" was very entertaining. See it and get a few laughs out of it.
     Nothing new, nothing different out here. It's been raining on and off all afternoon and am I glad. It's gotten much hotter in the past few weeks and the rain does cool things down a bit.
     Talking about diets, I am going on one myself beginning tomorrow. I don't eat spuds, bread or butter now but I'll have to add desserts to my list of taboos. I'm around 175 and I'll try to trim down to 165.
     That's all for now Sweet. Good night and take it easy.

Loving you always,
Gil




No comments:

Post a Comment