Sunday, November 20, 2016

Chin Up

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 18 April 1945, 6:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am once more. I had the whole morning reserved for some men from another ship but they never showed up. So--I read for a while, sent off a couple more letters and called in two patients who were awaiting appointments.
     After lunch I saw two more patients and then twelve of us went ashore. We played three games of volleyball, drank a few beers and after I went to the trouble of husking and shelling the nut, we ate some coconut meat. Got back at 5:15 just in time to shower and dress for dinner. After dinner we talked on deck for awhile and now here I am.
     The only mail today was a note from Ethyl. I really didn't expect much after yesterday's seven letters.
     The movie last night was the "Lost Horizon" revived, but still very good. Tonight we have another oldie, Noel Coward in "In Which We Serve."
     Nothing new or different to talk about just the same old rumors. Most of the dental officers in this area are being relieved after fifteen months and some have gone back as early as eleven months after shipping out. So you see dear, even if our ship doesn't return to the states soon, I still have a good chance of being home in the fall.
     That is all for tonight darling, keep the chin up and the smile on your face. Until tomorrow.

Your lover,
Gil

Beer and Coconut






No comments:

Post a Comment