Tuesday, November 8, 2016

The Navy Way

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 9 April 1945, 7:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Had my usual busy morning but was all secured by 11:15 AM. The mail man brought me a letter from you and one from Dave.
     After lunch I got a boat and went over to a hospital ship to see about some prosthetic treatment for one of my patients. Then I went ashore for a few beers.
     I got back to the ship at 5:45 just in time for dinner. I ate chow, visited with the skipper and here I am.
     Some of my questions of yesterday are now answered. Sorry the Seder was dull. Naturally you'd expect somewhat of a fashion show at the dinner. Betty and Oscar can give each other loving glances but when I get back we'll omit the glances. Is it a deal? OK!
     I'll look for the snaps you mention. I hope there are some of you in the next batch.
     The movie tonight is "The Navy Way" and is supposed to be excellent (I hope).
     I am really slightly high so I'd better sign off. Goodnight my Sweet until tomorrow.

Loving you always,
Your loving husband,
Gil


The skipper of the U.S.S. Ocelot





No comments:

Post a Comment