Saturday, November 12, 2016

Typewriter

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 12 April 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, here is that guy again. Today was another one of those days. Plugged away all morning and spent most of the afternoon on my records and reports. I've got them practically all squared away so I'll be able to take it easy for awhile now.
     I left my office at 3:15 and went up to the wardroom for a "coke." Then I had my hair cut. By then it was (just ran out of ink) 4:00 PM so I went up on the "poop" for some sun. It has been much warmer the past few weeks and even at this late hour the sun was blistering hot. Anyway I stayed up there for forty-five minutes, and then went down and showered. After that I censored some mail and dressed for dinner.
     After the batch of yesterday, I got one more letter than I expected today. Yes, I got one from you. It is an old one so my comments would just be a rehash.
     I do like the way the typewriter writes now. It is much easier to read. Wish I could type. My letters must be pretty difficult to decipher at times.
     We have a double feature movie tonight. They are both lousy pictures. Guess I'll go anyway. They are "Thoroughbred" and "Under Western Skies." Last night's movie was one of the best we've had aboard. "Roughly Speaking" with Rosalind Russell. Be sure to see it.
     Well Sweets, nothing more for tonight. Goodnight and I do love you.

Yours now and forever,
Gil

Eleanor had an Underwood typewriter similar to this one




No comments:

Post a Comment