Monday, January 2, 2017

Cribbage

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 12 May 1945, 10:00 PM
Dearest Sweetheart,
     This morning, I got four letters from you and one from my mother. However I was so busy that I didn't have time to read any of it until noon.
     After lunch I had a three day stack of mail to censor and it took me better than an hour to get the letters all read. Then I cleaned up some more of the shells and also did a little more work on the little surprise I'm making for you.
     At 5:15 I had my usual shower and changed for dinner, following which we went up to the captain's cabin for our nightly game of cribbage. However, in the middle of the game I was called away to extract a badly aching tooth and though I did get back we didn't play long because we had to quit for the movies.
     The movie consisted of two shorts and the feature, "She's A Sweetheart," which was lousy. One of the shorts was in color and all about California. It was entitled "California Here We Are." They had good shots of the Pacific Coast Highway, Sunset Boulevard, Catalina Island, Lake Arrowhead and many other places we know. So you see I did enjoy some of the show.
     I finally got the name of Sol's ship from Deb and was very provoked to find that he had been here just before the Okinawa Invasion. His ship is now headed back to Frisco--sure wish I was on it.
     Now to your mail. The name Rothwell sounds familiar, but I can't say that I remember them.
     I haven't read or heard anything about psychosomatic medicine. However magazines take more time getting out here and I'll keep a weather eye out for those items.
     I see my school marm got another day at Samohi. Do you get more pay for high school than junior high or has that changed?
     We haven't had "Tonight and Every Night" yet. I suppose it'll show up one of these days. I've heard and read about it and have been wanting to see it.
     I do hope you can work something out with the Siegers about a house at Lake Arrowhead. Estelle would be good company and you and the kids could stand a change of scenery.
     Talking about food. The mention of cucumbers and fresh corn does sound good. However we really get swell food. The only things I miss are fresh milk and tomatoes. We have plenty of oranges, apples, fresh frozen peaches, apricots and several vegetables. We get steak, turkey, chicken and roast beef at least once a week. Now who is drooling?
     No more for now my Darling so I'll sign off. Good night Honey with a great big hug and kiss for all three of my girls.

Love,
Gil

A Cribbage Board





No comments:

Post a Comment