Saturday, January 14, 2017

Played Cribbage


Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 20 May 1945, 10:15 PM
My Darling,
     Here I am again. Today being Sunday I did take it easy. I slept until 7:45, dressed and had a cup of coffee. I went to work at nine and quit at eleven. Then I went up to my room and censored a stack of mail.
     After lunch several officers went ashore, but I was too lazy to go along. Instead I went to my room and read a magazine for awhile. Cox (my roommate) and I played cribbage for an hour and knocked off when they brought us some mail. I got two letters from you and one from Bob Jaffe.
     I took the letters and my magazine and went up on the poop deck where I stripped down, read and got a little sunshine. Boy was it hot! And not a breath of air. Thank God it always cools off in the evening so a guy can get some sleep.
     We had a turkey dinner tonight with all the trimmings. Then I went up to the Captain's cabin for our nightly cribbage game. We quit at 7:30 for movies. The picture was another repeat, "San Diego I Love You." Not good but still not bad. Now here I am.
     Your letters were both marked May 11. I do hope Norma's chicken pox doesn't bother her much and that Linda doesn't come down with it too. Most of all dear, don't let it throw you. That type of illness is annoying but not serious. By the time you get this note I hope it's all over and forgotten.
     I'm glad you have definite plans now for a vacation. August will be much nicer than July. Go ahead and have the house painted in June. I don't believe I'll be lucky enough to get home by then. However I'd never let a little paint or confusion bother me--no matter what.
     After I'm through writing I intend to spend an hour on my correspondence course. I should have #7 done in a day or two. I have a couple of letters to write but they'll have to keep for a couple more days.
     Gosh dear, as I lounged around today my thoughts were constantly of you and the kids. Wondering what you were doing and if the kids were both well. That's one thing about being busy all the time--a fellow doesn't have too much time to feel sorry for himself or get homesick. However it can't be helped. I do love you and can't help missing you and our girls.
     Well, guess I'll secure for tonight. Goodnight Darling, until tomorrow.

Your lonely,
Gil











No comments:

Post a Comment