Saturday, January 7, 2017

Shell Hunting

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 15 May 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Began today as every other day with work and kept busy all morning.
     After lunch I organized a shell hunting expedition to one of the other close by islands. The island is completely surrounded by a coral reef and it is impossible to bring a boat right up on the beach. So the boat came in as close as we dared and then we all swam ashore. When we got there the tide was fairly high but was going out rapidly. We went to work--it really was work. You see we waded into the water up to our waists and then turned over pieces of coral and rock on the bottom looking for the shells. The live ones have a beautiful luster and color. Whereas the dead ones, which one can find on the beach, change color and lose their shine. We spent about four hours. I brought back over fifty live shells and a number of dead ones. Some of the shells I have sell for $1.00 each while others sell for less than 25 cents. If I felt like it I could go into business, but I won't.
     We had to swim back to our boat which was waiting offshore. And then we returned to the ship. By the time I showered and cleaned up it was 6:45 PM. I was too tired to eat. So I had two scoops of ice cream and here I am. After the movie I'll have a sandwich and some fruit.
     Tonight's movie is "Keep Your Powder Dry" with Lana Turner, Lorraine Day and a whole bevy of other pretties. I hope it's good. Last night's "Grizzly's Millions" was a murder mystery and wasn't bad at all.
     No mail today so this is thirty for tonight. Goodnight Darling and sweet dreams.

Love,
Gil

Gil found many cowry shells like these


No comments:

Post a Comment