Friday, April 14, 2017

Built Ice Cream Machine

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 28 July 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling, today is another anniversary for me but I wish it weren't so. One year ago today I reported aboard the Ocelot. Was that a day! We were both so stunned that we didn't realize the meaning of it all until later. Now the greatest portion of our separation is behind us and soon we'll all be together again.
     This morning the admiral officially took over command of the Flag and a "change of command" ceremony was held aboard at 8:00 AM. From then on it was a typical Saturday morning with work and preparation for captain's inspection.
     This afternoon I finished "Leave Her to Heaven" and began "Captain in Castile" a historical novel of the time of the Spanish Inquisition. The setting is in Spain and Cuba. Very interesting. Because of the rather full depiction of torture methods, I won't recommend it for you.
     At 5:00 PM I showered, censored mail and then dressed for dinner. After chow we played cribbage as usual. By the way, we built our own ice cream machine and have the stuff every day. We make seventy gallons a day. There is enough for all.
     I got three letters from my Sweet today and one from each of our mothers. We must enjoy our movies a lot more than people at home do. The movies that you thought were just fair seemed excellent to me. Guess we appreciate the little entertainment we get!
     Wish you'd square up with Bessler. A bird in the hand, you know. Take $40 and if there is more we'll follow up on it when I get home.
     Guess I was right about Leon. The Bureau did catch up with him. Well he can't complain. He's had a long tour of duty stateside and Okinawa is pretty safe now.
     The money is bone-fide Jap invasion money. I have more, and the higher denominations show use. However the smaller bills weren't used because there wasn't anything to buy with them. Everything was sky high.
     Glad Deb and the baby are doing well. I must write in the next day or so. I've been so lazy lately.
     The movie tonight is "Rough, Tough and Ready," with Richard Dix and Victor McLagen. Probably just as poor as Jack Benny last night but I'll go anyway.
     Now I'll sign off. Goodnight Sweetheart and pleasant dreams.

Love,
Gil



  • The U.S.S. Ocelot, flag of Service Squadron 10, built it's own ice cream machine. However the squadron had an ice cream barge. The concrete hulled barge cost one million dollars to build in 1945. It had to be towed by tugs or other ships because it had no engines. 






























  • Posted by Linda Frumkes

    No comments:

    Post a Comment