Friday, April 7, 2017

Night Turned into Day

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 21 July 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Well it's been raining on and off ever since I wrote you last night. All in all things are considerably cooler now. Last night we had a really, terrific electrical storm. The lightening was so bright and the flashes so frequent that for awhile the night turned into day again.
     When I awoke this morning, it was still sprinkling. By the time I finished breakfast it had stopped. I worked all morning. When I came up topside at 1:00 PM the rain had begun again.
     After lunch I had to take the liberty party ashore and wasn't too happy because it looked like it would be a wet and muddy afternoon. However by the time we hit the beach the rain had stopped and then sun peaked out from the clouds and smiled down on us all afternoon. At 4:00 P.M. I mustered the men, got them aboard our LCI and headed back for the ship. A brisk breeze came up and we had a bouncy ride back in a rough and choppy sea.
     We were back aboard at 4:45. I had time to shower, censor mail, and dress for dinner. After that we had a most enjoyable game of cribbage and now here I am.
     No mail today. If the threatening weather persists, air mail will probably be delayed for a few days. I hope not. I'd rather have it hot and get my sugar report (mail from you) everyday.
     We have a good movie tonight and rain or not I'll be there. It is Sonja Heine in "It's a Pleasure" or "Isn't it a Pleasure." I don't recall which. With you it would be in either case.
     That's the extent of stuff and nonsense for tonight, Sweet so I'll sign off. Goodnight darling, with all my love just for you.

Your lonely and only
Gil


An LCI
Courtesy NavAsource.org











No comments:

Post a Comment