Monday, April 17, 2017

Important Man

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco 
Tuesday 31 July 1945, 10:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am just as usual. Today has been another hot one. How I wish it would rain!
     I worked all morning and part of this afternoon and then I went to have my hair cut. After that I showered, censored mail and began another book, "Homicide for Hannah," a murder mystery. Soon it was time for chow and then our nightly game of cribbage.
     Our movie tonight was "Escape in the Desert" with Philip Dorn. Just fair. Now here I am.
     Again there was no mail this morning. But late this afternoon I got five letters from you written Saturday, Sunday and Monday the 21st, 22nd and 23rd.
     So Cousins is the most important man on his post. My, my! Well so am I with the select group of patients I have. An admiral, commodore, a mess of captains and commanders to say nothing of lower ranking officers all dependent on me for dental care makes me quite important too. Like hell it does. It's just Cousins all over again.
     Now that you have a firsthand report from my mother about Libby's home you aren't jealous anymore. As I matter of fact I can hear you meowing. Here, kitty, kitty! Shame on you.
     I'm glad the kids enjoy the beach. If the lake Arrowhead deal flops again, I wonder if going to the beach regularly would be the answer to your vacation problems. Sounds like the house is all fixed up now. Bet it's real nice and I can hardly wait until I can see for myself.
     I don't know why you have to have the family over. It hasn't been very long since you last had them over. It is too much for you and does cost money. What's the use of talking? By the time you've read this, you'll already have done it. I hope everyone enjoyed it. I know they did with your excellent planning.
     I'm glad you got the little remembrance I made in time for our anniversary. The shell sure takes a beautiful finish. You know there is no varnish or lacquer on it just a natural high polish. I'll put your order for necklaces like Norma's on order. I've just finished another shell bracelet. Each shell has been specially treated with acid to bring out some beautiful colors. I'm making earrings to match and earrings to match the last bracelet I sent you. I'd like Deb to have the one I sent you or maybe I'll get around to making another for her. We'll see.
     The proposed release plan for the Navy will do nothing more than release older men. It is amazing how few have sufficient points.
     I hope I get my shaver soon. So far I've been able to borrow one, but it is an old shaver and it'll likely to fall apart while I'm using it.
     No more for now Darling so I'll sign off. Goodnight Sweetheart. I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil

Gil
U.S.S. Ocelot Dental Officer





No comments:

Post a Comment