Sunday, November 22, 2015

Glamorous Wife

Tuesday, 19 September 10:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my Sweet. Got your picture today and have been showing my glamorous wife off to everybody. One look at your photo and I knew I'd better get home soon or else.
     Since this morning I've been busy running around on some duties and that damned sun is hot. For dinner tonight our executive officer had two guests. One was a Jewish chaplain, the one who conducted the services here. Didn't want to go to the movie tonight because I had seen it before. "The White Cliffs of Dover. All through the picture I kept thinking of you. Do you remember when we saw it in Diego? Anyway I don't think it's the type of picture to show men overseas and from the Captain down all of us agreed on that.
     Well darling, on the day I stay aboard there is little to write about. Just routine and that is all. I did see the chap I sewed up and he looks swell. Nothing interesting outside of that. Will finish in the morning. Good night, darling.



Wednesday September 20, 1944, 8:25 AM
Good morning Sweetheart,
     Did you sleep well? I read the August Reader's Digest until midnight and then turned the light out. I had hardly closed my eyes when it was 7:00 AM and time to get up again. It seems the bugs were biting again last night. We all have a few welts to show for the attack but they must have just taken little nips out of me because I slept right on through.
     So you've got nothing to do at night but bathe and stay clean. Well I shower at least once every day because I have to. I perspire so much that I'd probably smell to high heaven if I didn't. I hasn't rained much here during the day but it rains every night and when I come out on deck in the morning everything is wet and fresh looking.
     My love, I'm going on liberty today. Will check the proofs of my photos, look around some more for those books you mention and then? Bye my Sweet, till tonight.

Loving you more & more.
Gil
Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot
F.P.O. San Francisco

Glamorous Wife









No comments:

Post a Comment