Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Go Native


Friday 15 September 1944, 10:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Just came out from the movie. Saw Spencer Tracy in the "Seventh Cross." It was intensely interesting and the suspense carried on to the very last scene. See it if you get a chance.
     Got letters from Earl Bubar and Libby this morning and two from you this afternoon. I immediately answered Earl and also wrote to Dr. Sieger, Dr. White and Miss Earnest. Worked in my office the rest of the day. That is the way I passed my time today.
     You ask many questions in your Monday letter so here goes. Yes, I received the taffy and wrote Linda and Norma a note. You should have it by now. I'll try to look up Al and Wally. Can't write and tell them where I am or where to meet me because then I would be disclosing our whereabouts. It may seem silly but that's the way it is. Yes, I took something to the Rikes, a two week liquor ration and they were very pleased. I get all the current news via newspaper. I've read a few mystery books but nothing exciting or worth talking about. No cards thank you, but I do play checkers quite often. The ship is a subscriber to several magazines although they are a little old when we get them. No periodicals of a professional nature so far.
     No Darling the way things are now I can't do any studying. Not even much chance to play the accordion. However it won't be long before I have all my comforts again. Then maybe I'll do some of the things I've wanted to do.
     By the way, young lady, stay away from that male teacher or papa will go native. I'm beginning to see why some men go native. I really need you dear, but I'll put up with it as long as we can have our daily visits.
     I'm glad to hear that you are back teaching. But Dear, even though you should keep busy, remember you have two girls to care for and you can't always find an Edna to care for them, even at $25 per week. I've also made a note of the rings for my girls.
     Goodnight, Sweetheart, I love you, truly I do. Do you remember eating cookies in the lower berth on the train to Frisco? After the war we'll try that lower again.

Loving you always,
Gil
Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart

U.S.S. Ocelot
F.P.O. San Francisco


One evening in September 1944, Eleanor was at the Florentine Gardens

Left to right Nick, Eleanor, Deb, Dave and and Sol

For more about Florentine Gardens see http://dearoldhollywood.blogspot.com/2009/06/florentine-gardens-hollywood-nightspot.html





No comments:

Post a Comment