Monday, January 18, 2016

Bad Boy

Lt.(j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
USS Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday October 13, 1944, 8:25 AM 
Dearest Eleanor,
     Good morning sweetheart. Gilbert was a bad boy yesterday. Ambie and I went on liberty and we both got pretty high. The best place to go when I guy is in that condition is right back to the ship and that is what we did. Ambie turned in immediately but I had to see the movies. The picture "Tell It To The Irish," with James Dunn was lousy and in my condition everything about it is very vague. Considering everything I feel swell this morning. No hangover, headache or even bad taste in my mouth. Oh well, this is only the second time I've done this and I think under the circumstances it is the best thing to do, blow off a little steam and now I'll relax and go back to work.
     From the sound of things Norma is really making rapid strides in her development. Wish I could see some of it but then I'll make the best of the situation as long as you keep me posted. What is Linda doing these days? The only time you mention her is when there is some kind of difficulty. Or is she at a standstill now?
     Sounds like Dick is really going places. It would be too bad if the draft did pick him up now but on the other hand a little discipline might do him a whale of a lot of good and he could continue on with his music while he is in the service.
     You are still worrying about what the Corsos say and do. As I remember we never did see much of them Saturday nights. We very often tried to get together but seldom did. Now that you're alone you just notice it more, that's all.
     What happened to Irving Fink that he is being released on a medical discharge? I received only one letter in the past 2 days and when I do get several from you they all bear the same date on the postmark. The pickup service must be just as poor at your end as it is here. However, honey don't worry. I'm writing everyday and you'll get all my letters eventually.
     I'll look for my Xmas packages and hope that when I get them I can hold out till Xmas. You know me darling. I'm very restless and just like a little boy when it comes to waiting for anything.
     So, Sweet, until later, good-bye. I just wish I could transmit a little of the love in my heart to you. All I can do, however, is say I love you, my darling, my own.

Love,
Gil











No comments:

Post a Comment