Thursday, January 21, 2016

Wrong Form

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 14 October 1944, 9:40 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Went on a wild goose chase this morning. Got some requisitions made out, borrowed the Captain's jeep. After chasing around for an hour getting it okayed, I was informed that the form used was wrong and so I've got to do the whole thing again.
     Well I returned to the ship and worked the rest of the morning. After lunch, I rated liberty so I went on a shopping tour. By the time I was through it was 4:00 PM so I returned and stowed my package aboard and then went over to the Officers' Club for a few beers.
     After dinner one of the officers and I played checkers until movie time. My game is really improving. We had a swell movie tonight, "Janie." If you haven't seen it you must.
     No mail today except the enclosed card from Rabbi Lifschitz. So no quiz program. I have so much to do in the morning that I won't be able to write until tomorrow night. You see, if I don't get the letter off early in the morning it won't leave the ship the same day.
     I've had a slight cold the last couple of days. First I thought I was getting one of my sore throats but a few doses of "sulfa" and my throat cleared up. The Doctor says as soon as we leave here my cough will clear up. A harbor cough is what he calls it. However, there are several colds aboard and I believe it's being passed around.
     Darling do you remember how much we've always enjoyed boating and how I wanted to buy a small craft for our pleasure? Well Sweet, I haven't had too much of the sea yet and after the war I wouldn't be surprised if the Steingarts turned up with their own boat at Arrowhead or Catalina.
     How are my two little darlings doing these days? Hope Norma soon gets over the crying spells she has when left outside to play. And Linda must be getting to be quite the young lady now. Did Dutchy get over her illness? Every time I send a letter off I think of dozens of things to say but when I'm writing I forget.
     Well honey, it is time to turn in because I'm going to have a busy day tomorrow. I love you Sweetheart and am counting the days till we are together again.

Love
Gil






No comments:

Post a Comment