Saturday, January 2, 2016

Chiseled 260 Books



Lt (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
 USS Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 5 October 1944, 10:05 PM
Dearest Eleanor, 
     This has been a busy day for me but I didn't do any dentistry. This morning I got a jeep and chased over to a supply depot and picked up a mess of recreational gear for the ship. It doesn't sound like much but one can sure waste a lot of time doing nothing. This afternoon I went to the district library to see how many more books I could chisel for the ship. Didn't do too badly as I was able to get 260 volumes--that is they are promised, but I feel certain that I'll get them. Then I returned and found a letter from your mother and you.
     Glad you went out and had a pleasant evening. You must have a little recreation once in a while. See that you get it. That is an order! You didn't enclose Edna's letter--guess I'll get it in the next mail. Nick and Wally are right in part. Let's see what Leon says before I say any more. Anything new with Dave? I hope he makes officers' training but one can't be sure until he is on his way.
     Darling, don't be so touchy about what people say. Look at Jim Frug. He has been in for a whale of a long time. Dr. Symington and Dr. Ing didn't go just for the lark either. They were all released by the War Manpower Commission when I was, and there wasn't much choice. Don't forget that a man isn't always as well as he seems and Dr. Messer definitely is not well. He managed to stay out but I'd rather be well and doing my share. I'll still have my health when I return and we'll have many years together and they'll be happy ones. I'll say you're a bit "balmy," but you'd better not wait until I get home to get over it. You have as big a job at home as I have here and I expect you to do as good a job of it as I'm trying to do.
     The weather here is also perfect. It is warm in the sun but cool in the shade and at night there is quite a breeze blowing down from the hills.
     I wish I could see my girls growing up but your comments on them will have to do for the time being. Then when I get home I'll see if you kept me up to date.
     I've got quite an accumulation of gifts collected up but I'm going to wait until a few days before we shove and then send them all in one package. It will be you job to distribute the gifts as you see fit. I hope your song books get here soon so I can use them while we are under way.
     As far as food goes we get plenty of it and it's really OK. I'd love some of your "Brownies." Do you think, though, that they'd be fresh and whole by the time they arrived? I'll let you be the judge.
     Glad to here you got another woman. Hope she pans out OK.
     Do you remember the date we made with Belle and Charlie to go to Alaska? Well I dropped them a note last night. After the war let's keep that date. I still expect to take a month off each year.
     Tomorrow will be another busy day. Remember the ship's outing I told you about several weeks ago? Well the men liked it so much that I've arranged another one and I'm going along in the morning. We'll leave early so I'm going to close this letter tonight.
     Haven't I told you I love you darling? How can I tell you how much on paper? Well just wait until I get back! Good night, sweetheart!
Lovingly,
Gil
P.S. Just reread this letter and that item about seeing that you get it. "It" means a little recreation in good company. Sounded funny so the addition. One never know what "it" can refer to can one? Night again Sweet and here is a big kiss!






No comments:

Post a Comment