Saturday, January 9, 2016

Skipper

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 9 October 1944, 10:30 PM 
 Dearest Eleanor,
     Well darling, here I am again. This was a varied day for me. Censored mail till 8:30. Examined seven men from our ship and five from another for dental treatment. Then took care of one of them. Then went back to reading mail. By the time I was through it was lunch time and so I ate again.
     After lunch the skipper and I drove out to look for certain recreational gear we needed and some things that he wished to buy for himself. Then we stopped for a couple of drinks and returned to the ship. I was hoping to find some mail but I guess struck out today.
     This evening we had "The Great Moment" with Joel McCrea and Betty Field. When you wrote that you saw it I didn't know what you were referring to. Marty and I saw it previewed at the Village Theater; that was the only time we attended a movie together. The original title was "There Shall Be No Pain." No wonder I didn't recognize it. The sequences in the picture were also changed. Instead of the flashbacks as it is now shown, the picture originally began with Morton being a med student and ended with his death. I do believe the change improved the picture considerably.
     Honey, with no questions to answer I hardly know what to say except that my thoughts are of you. Very often during my waking moments, I wish that you could see this thing or enjoy that thing with me. I do love you, Sweet, and I know how hard it must be for you. How I wish I could be home to give you a lift.
     Nothing more for now, darling. I'll finish in the morning after I've seen what the mail brings. Good night and pleasant dreams.

Lovingly
Gil







No comments:

Post a Comment