Friday, June 3, 2016

Religious Services Off

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday January 7, 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Well here I am again. Though today is Sunday I began with work as usual. It began to rain about 6:00 AM. By 11:00 AM storm warnings were up and we took all our boats out of the water because of a rough sea. Religious services were called off because of the hazard connected with small boats. When it was too late to do anything about it, the sea quieted down and the rain stopped. So I had a free afternoon.
     After lunch I censored some mail and began a book by Louis Bromfield. I'm not sure of the title but I think it's "There is Always Tomorrow." Anyway it is interesting and I'll probably finish it when I turn in tonight.
     When I got tired reading I went down to my office and finished one of the necklaces I'm making and it's a beauty! Be sure that the chain you send me for yourself is plenty long. Also if you can pick up a few chains suitable for bracelets send them on as well. Really these shell necklaces and bracelets are quite expensive to buy. I've been lucky to be able to find the shells that I have.
     I'm all caught up with my correspondence except a thank you to Ethyl which I will write immediately after this letter. No mail today but I hardly expect any for a few days now.
     The movie tonight sounds lousy but there is nothing else to do, so I guess I'll go. It is "Meet Miss Bobby Socks" with Bob Crosby and Bob Benchley. I do hope it isn't too bad.
     Sweetheart, do you remember how on rainy days on Washington Street we'd build a fire and read and visit in front of it? After the war in our new home I'm sure we all would enjoy an open fire on a cold night. OK?
     So long for now darling. I love you more all the time (if that is possible).

Devotedly,
Gil


U.S.S. Ocelot 









No comments:

Post a Comment