Saturday, June 25, 2016

Ship's Company

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 21 January 1945, 10:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling just got back from another good movie. We had "To Have and to Have Not" with Humphrey Bogart and it was 4.0, see it.
     This being Sunday I began work as usual and wasn't through until 11:15. I'm reading an interesting book, "Forever Amber," with a background of the England of Charles II. This gal Amber evidently had what it takes but I'm wondering how she can continue to dish it out for more than 900 pages. I'll read and find out.
     After lunch I read some more and then finished assignment #5 of my course. Now I'll get one of the boys to type it up and send it in.
     Got my copy of the ship's company photo and though I took a lousy picture I'm going to send it on.
     It seems that officers must take a physical exam every year so after dinner the doctor gave me the once over and found I was still qualified for sea duty. No survey yet.
     The mailman came twice today but passed me up both times. I hope he does better by me tomorrow.
     Nothing new or different to tell you except it was a little cooler today, not a hair over 85 degrees. The sea has been quite choppy the past few days. There must be a pretty good storm blowing at sea.
     Darling, do you remember when Linda was just beginning to talk? What a bang she got when I honked the horn in the tunnel on the coast highway? How about Norma? Does she like that too?
     I'm getting sleepy dear so I'll sign off. Good night Sweetheart, till we meet tomorrow.

Love,
Gil



USS Ocelot Crew
First two rows are officers.
The other rows are enlisted men.
Gil is in front row on right end








No comments:

Post a Comment