Thursday, June 16, 2016

War Bonds

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 15 January 1945, 7:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Well I did it! I hit the jackpot again. There were thirteen letters and cards and all but three from my own sweet girls. I must be getting soft because I just couldn't hold back a few tears when I read the sweet sentiment and love in the cards from you and our little ones. Besides that I got a letter from Libby and birthday cards from the Leavys and my mother.
     Now to your letter. First, the continuity is all mixed up because the letters were written December 30, 31 and January 1, 2, and 3. Four days ago I got mail dated January 4. Anyway here goes. I thought Anne had decided to stay and Joe was to get leave and come home. What happened? Why is she leaving now?
     Glad you saw "Gypsy Wildcat" I liked it too.
     I'm not sorry about those guys who quit defense jobs as soon as the heat was off and now have to go back. What we should have is a National Service Act and draft all men into defense jobs who don't meet military requirements. It's about time that people learned that buying a few bonds at 2.9% interest isn't really contributing much to our war effort. If I could get home and tell a few of our patriotic civic leaders what I and thousands like me think of them, I'd probably lose the few friends (?) I still have.
     Probably Sol's "shakedown" cruise hadn't begun yet. Usually right after that the ship goes on its way.
     Dear my instruments and records are valuable. I'd prefer having them in storage to lying around in the garage. No dear I can't tell you how many items I have down there.
     No dear I wouldn't care for any newspapers. They are at least thirty days old by the time they arrive. We get all war and national news daily. Besides paper clutter up the mail and slow up delivery of other pieces men would much rather receive.
     So you are back teaching! Guess you were wise in refusing that half time job. Between your work and household duties, I do hope you aren't overdoing.
     Darling do you remember that night at Arrowhead when we hired a speedboat for an hour's ride? We rode in the back seat and got all wet. But we had fun as we will again when I get home.
     Must sign off now and go to the movies. We are having "Alaska" and it is rated 3.9 so it should be good. Also the will be a "March of Time" and a cartoon.
     Good night sweetheart. Love and kisses to you and my two darlings.

Your lonesome "daddy,"
Gil


Birthday card from the Leavys









No comments:

Post a Comment