Thursday, June 30, 2016

Flying

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, FPO San Francisco
Wednesday 24 January 1945, 9:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello darling, how are you tonight?. I'm swell but I miss you terribly and there is nothing either of us can do about it.
     Today began as usual with work. And after sweating all morning I decided it was time for a little recreation so I joined a few of the officers who were going ashore. We had a few beers and spent most of the afternoon hunting shells. My collection has many variety, sizes, shapes and colors of shells. We returned to the ship at 5:00 PM.
     Our new engineering officer reported aboard this afternoon and seems to be a nice chap. He got a tough break though. His last duty was about 150 miles from here. However he flew from there back to Pearl and then back here. Flying about 3600 miles just to cover 150 miles is going some isn't it?
     We just closed a deal to buy 350 cases of coca cola for the officers mess and will pick them up tomorrow. Including cases and bottles they'll cost us .053 cents per bottle and that is dirt cheap.
     The mail man only brought me a birthday card from my mother this morning but when I got back from the island I found a most welcome letter from you. It was dated the 14th but from what you say I guess there are ones from the 13th and 14th still due. You see the last letter of the 13th mentioned a package you received from me but didn't open because you wanted to get the kids to bed. No further mention is made in today's letter so there must be one or two in between. I'll receive them one of these days.
     The movie tonight consisted of 5 shorts and a Bing Crosby picture entitled "My Girl Like Music" but it was just fair.
     Now to your letter. You seem to be seeing movies the same time we are. Just the other night we had "Bowery to Broadway" just the other night. A funny thing I remarked at the end of the show that what was lacking was color. All great (?) minds run in the same channels.
     So Ruth broke down and called you. Well I guess she took to heart the letter I wrote her before she went East. Well, we'll see later if she really meant it.
     It didn't take Mary and Willie to get over their spat. After all these years, she should be used to her trouble.
     I know you miss me Sweet because I know how I feel. Just the same I tickled pink that you are all dated up. I do hope you get lots of pleasure out of your outings.
     Darling, do you remember the night you kissed me for the first time? We were parked in the alley and you gave me a peck and ran like h---. Bet you were afraid I'd rape you. Well you'll never be able to run fast enough when I get back.
     No more for now honey so good night and dream about me. I'm going to do the same about you.

Love,
Gil


U.S.S. Ocelot







No comments:

Post a Comment