Thursday, September 15, 2016

Album

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 7 March 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     This has been another busy day. I saw seven patients in the morning. When I was through it was 11:45 AM. The score was eighteen fillings and three extractions.
     After lunch I censored some mail and then returned to my office to see a couple more patients. Then I went up on the poop deck and enjoyed the sun for forty-five minutes.
     After that I went to my room and visited with a chaplain who came on board for the day. Then I spent an hour or so mounting snapshots in the album the Goodfriends sent. The first thing I knew it was 5:15, so I showered and dressed for dinner.
     After dinner we enjoyed the cool breezes on the bridge deck and looked for a pretty sunset, but there were many clouds on the horizon and it didn't pan out. Now, here I am.
     There was no mail today. If there had been some I'd have been surprised because I've been real lucky of late. Come to think of it I was lucky when I married my loving correspondent and that luck has stayed with me all these years.
     The movie last night "The Angels Sing" was very good and though I thought I'd seen it I really hadn't. Tonight's movie is "Something for the Boys" with Carmen Miranda and Michael O'Shea. It is rated as being very good.
     Honey, that is all there is for today. I wish there were some new encouraging scuttlebutt about me coming home or something but there isn't a damn thing worth talking about.
     So--good night my love, I'll see you in my dreams (I hope).
Loving you always,
Gil

Snapshot album




No comments:

Post a Comment