Thursday, September 8, 2016

Technicolor

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 4 March 1945, 7:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Just a nice quiet Sunday for a change. Saw a couple of patients this morning and was through for the day. No emergency calls so nothing to do.
     I've been trying to figure out how I got the box of fruits and nuts so quickly and have decided that it was because you insured it. It came in perfect condition and so quick, too.
     Did lots of reading today but really nothing but trash. I'll settle down to some serious reading one of these days but the way I've been reading in five to fifteen minute snatches there just isn't any use at present.
     I really can't figure where the time went today because I didn't do much. I read in the afternoon, censored a stack of mail, showered and dressed for dinner. We had turkey with all the trimmings tonight. Delicious.
     After dinner we enjoyed a most beautiful awe inspiring sunset. We had an array of colors ranging from a yellow on down the spectrum to a reddish-purple and then grey. Well, there will come a day when we'll enjoy such beauties of nature together and I know my pleasure and enjoyment of such spectacles will be trebled.
     Tonight's movie is in Technicolor, "Virginia" with Madeline Carroll and Fred McMurray and is rated as very good.
     There was no mail today so no more of my interesting (?) remarks. I've really been fortunate about mail even if there are some packages missing. They may still show up. People at home can't realize what letters mean to our boys. If only they could read their letters as censors do--then many would write more often.
     Well Sweetheart, that is thirty for tonight. Bye and pleasant dreams

Loving you always,
Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment