Thursday, June 4, 2020

Ulithi--FDR's Passing



Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 16 April 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Today begins a new week but it probably won't be different than those that have passed. I was busy all morning as usual. Had lunch and after that took a recreation party ashore for the afternoon. We got back at 5:00 PM. I showered, dressed for dinner and so went another day. After eating we stood around anticipating a colorful sunset when a rain squall came along and drove us under cover.
     The movie tonight is a revival of "In Old Chicago." It was first shown in 1938 so I guess it'll be just like seeing a new picture. I enjoyed last night's "Greenwich Village," I hadn't seen it before.

     How did FDR's passing away affect folks at home? We got the news at breakfast the morning of the 13th and there were plenty of questions in most of our minds as to who would replace him at the peace tables after the final victory. All ships' ensigns are at half mast and will remain so for thirty days.  Yesterday (Sunday) special memorial services were held on all ships where a chaplain was available and at sunset we all observed five minutes of silence. However, the war goes on just the same and I doubt that victory will be delayed any. It's just the "peace" that many of us are concerned about.
     No mail for me today so I'm practically speechless.
     
No more for now darling, so I guess I'll sign off. Goodnight and pleasant dreams (of me of course).
Yours always,
Gil










No comments:

Post a Comment