Saturday, June 6, 2020

Ulithi--Misery Loves Company

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 17 April 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling here is your hard working husband again. I worked all morning and afternoon and didn't secure until four o'clock.
     Then I went to my room, undressed, showered and censored some mail. After that I read for awhile and then it was time to dress and go eat.
     After dinner we visited around on deck and now here I am.
     Got seven letters today, four from you, one each from Libby, Ruth, and Mary Regan. This Regan gal sure has her eye out for Leon but with a face like hers I'm afraid she won't get very far.
     Libby's home does sound nice but you have no cause to be jealous. We've always had more than they did and when I get back and into the groove, you'll have all the things you want again. "We did it before and we can do it again!" As far as gifts go, you've got the idea at last. Anything will be OK.
     Sorry your summer plans aren't panning out. Yet I think it is for the best. Just a hunch plus some scuttlebutt but I do hope for the states this fall. Maybe we'll be lucky for a change.
     Glad you're teaching. Time goes so much faster when one is busy. Believe me I know though I haven't said much about it.
     Did Wallie get a medical discharge or what? I suppose he paid cash at Marbros but you should check. He might have used you as a reference for all you know.
     That's what I like about you. Always planning for the future, 1950-1960. What have you on tap from 1945-1950 eh?
     If you like Nina's company, encourage her to visit you in June. I doubt very much that she'll be in "our" way. If I do show up, we'll just disappear, OK?
     My goodness such pride. Don't be so proud Dear. Encourage invites instead of turning them down. I wouldn't feel too badly about the few friends you have. In talking with the married officers I find that their wives have all had similar experiences since their husbands shipped out.
     Be sure to attend the Officers' Wives Club. You'll probably meet several women you know and don't forget you all have a common bond and misery loves company.
     Well Sweets, I'm all "writ out."

     Tonight's movie by the way is "The Lost Horizon of Shangri-La." I can't find out if this is the old "Lost Horizon" or a new feature. Anyway I'll see it and find out.
     Good night Sweetheart until tomorrow.

Loving you always,
Gil




Gil's wife Eleanor






No comments:

Post a Comment