Sunday, June 21, 2020

Ulithi--War Casualties

In 1949 Gil's daughter Linda fell and hurt her arm at roller skating party. Gil used knowledge he had acquired during WWII. He took her to his office and used his dental x-ray equipment to diagnose that it was fractured.

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 23 April 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am again after another busy day. This probably has been the busiest day I've had since I've been aboard. Except for an hour at noon I've worked steadily from 8:30 until 4:30 P.M. In addition to my regular appointments I had six emergency patients and believe me I did hustle. I'm really not complaining because I had several surgical cases, all difficult, but interesting with good results.
     In addition to my work we've been using the dental x-ray machine for x-raying several ambulatory war casualties that came aboard today. Now the operating room is being prepared for the second appendectomy of the day. Our sick bay has been really busy.
     The mail today brought the package of booklets you sent me--you know--puzzles, games, jokes, etc. Looks like there should be several hours of amusement there. Gee thanks!       Besides that I got an American Dental Association Bulletin but no letters. Oh well, I can't complain, I've been getting my share.
     The movie tonight is Abbott and Costello in "Here Come the Co-eds" and should be be good for a laugh.
     Gee honey, I'm too tired to say any more even if there was something new or different to tell you, which there isn't. So-o-I'll sign off.
     Good night darling, till we meet again tomorrow.

Your lover,
Gil


Perhaps the x-ray machine was something like this Ritter unit from the 1930s.




No comments:

Post a Comment