Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Ulithi--Filled 13 Teeth, Extracted 1, Treated 2 Infections

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 15 April 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Honey. Even though it was Sunday I had a whole slew of appointments and by noon I had filled thirteen teeth, extracted one and treated two gum infection cases.
     After lunch I went up on the poop deck and got forty-five minutes of sunshine. Then I went to my room undressed, censored mail and read until 4:30 P.M. Almost like a Sunday afternoon at home except that my three sweethearts weren't with me.
     After showering, I dressed for dinner and enjoyed a delicious turkey feast with all the trimmings. Honestly dieting is a real problem but the only thing fattening that I've eaten all day was one scoop of ice cream.
     The mail today brought a letter from Bob Jaffe and a card from my mother.
     The movie tonight was shown aboard at Pearl but I don't remember it. It is "Greenwich Village" with Don Ameche and Carmen Miranda. It supposed to be good. I'll be there with bells on.
     I wrote some more letters last night--to Leon, Dave, Ethyl, and Mrs. Mumma. I'm having a little difficulty keeping up now that I have a few others besides my own special correspondent. I'll probably write some more tonight.
     There is still no news worth talking about. Of course the war is moving right along and it's hard to understand what Germany can possibly gain by continuing to fight, but they are doing that. Okinawa may well be a decisive campaign in the Pacific theater. By the time the Japs are liquidated there, the Nips will have lost practically all of her fleet and power of production for waging war in Japan proper (listen to "Mr. Kaltenborn!" Tsk, tsk).
     No more for now darling so I'll sign off with love and kisses to you and our darlings.

Yours alone,
Gil

U.S.S. Ocelot






No comments:

Post a Comment