Monday, June 15, 2020

Ulithi--I Run My Department

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 20 April 1945, 7:15 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Honey, here I am again. I had another busy morning but everything was 4.0 when the mail orderly brought me eight letters, all from you, except one which was from your mother.
     Today being "field day" I decided to go ashore for the afternoon. Just as I was getting ready to leave I got an emergency call to my office. However I extracted the tooth and made the boat in time. I spent a pleasant afternoon on the island and got back at 5:15, showered and dressed for dinner. Watched the sunset and here I am.
     Now to your letters. They were marked March 29, 31 and April 9. No comment on the late letters except that now I know about Linda's eyes and I'm tickled that there is nothing really wrong.
     Yes dear I can drink as much beer as Gilman or anybody. It's just a matter of practice. However, I'm leaving hard liquor alone because in this climate it hits me like a "ton of bricks."
     I don't think we'll have a second dentist aboard. As a matter of fact I don't want one. Chances are he would be senior to me and I'd do most of the work. As it is now, I run my department as I please and don't really have any boss. That's the way I like it so I'll leave it well enough alone.
     "As Thousands Cheer" was an oldie which we evidently missed. The "live" entertainers were all right but nothing exciting.
     Now I know what happened to the tire, too. However, don't worry about it. It's just one of those things. You really ought to have the clutch fixed pronto. If it does give out it'll just be an additional expense.
     I re-lived all your recollections on the road to Arrowhead. Someday, sooner than you think we will re-explore that country together (I hope).
     This is no advice I can get for you so many miles away. By all means, if you feel you need to, see Dr. Lewis and find out what he has to say.
     Now quit holding out. Send those snaps of yourself along with the kids. I had some more taken on the island the other day though they aren't too hot, I'll send them as soon as I can.
     I'm glad you enjoyed "Roughly Speaking." I got a big band out of it too.
     We've been seeing most of the movies that you have. The only one we haven't had yet is "National Velvet" and we'll probably get that soon. Until we get a new shipment I guess we'll have to put up with old ones. Tonight we have "Random Harvest." with Ronald Coleman and Greer Garson. Guess I'll go anyway.
     Today I heard of two more dental officers out here who got their orders at fifteen months. If we don't get back sooner when I've had twelve months I intend to write requesting Long Beach for my next tour of duty.
     Nothing more new or different so I'll sign off. Goodnight my Sweet and pleasant dreams.

Loving you always,
Gil

Drinking Beer
Engineering Officer and Gil





No comments:

Post a Comment