Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Ulithi--Shower

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 21 April 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my Sweet, how are you today? Today was an easy day for me. I saw a couple of patients this morning and then stood by for captain's inspection. After lunch I read for awhile and then joined a group of officers going ashore. Yes, again! We played volleyball from two to four and believe me in this climate one can sure raise a sweat playing in the sun for two hours. Anyway, it looks like we finally got enough men interested to play regularly and I surely welcome the exercise.
     At four we had a couple of beers and at 4:30 our boat came for us so we returned to the ship. I had just enough time to take a leisurely shower (boy was I dirty) and dress for dinner. Visited on deck for awhile and now here I am.
     The mail today brought a lone letter from Uncle Mike. However, I did "right smart well" yesterday so I can't kick. The parade of old movies still continues. Tonight we have "Song of Russia" with Robert Taylor (I think). Anyway it has lots of good music and I did enjoy it when I saw it before. So I guess I'll go and enjoy it again tonight.
     Honey, do you remember how I always was ready to go to the movies though sometimes you didn't feel like it. With this concentrated dose of movies we are getting aboard one of two things will happen. I'm either going to get fed up on movies or I'll form a habit that I'll have trouble breaking.

     However I bet we'll find other forms of entertainment for our evenings together. Don't you think so? 
     No more for now so I'll sign off. Goodnight my Sweet, I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil




Shower on the U.S.S. Ocelot





No comments:

Post a Comment