Saturday, May 2, 2015

Tight and Conservative



Tuesday 15 February 1944
Dear Eleanor,
     This has been a very busy day.  Worked steadily from eight this morning until four.  Went to class from four until five, then chow and now this letter.
     Went to the B'nai B'rith meeting last night. Was I disgusted! The Santa Monica lodge really has something to be proud of.  These fellows are as tight as they make them and just as conservative.   They give fifteen cents apiece to war service and think they're doing their part.  I was going to make a few remarks but I kept quiet when I saw what the situation was.  You were certainly right when you said that I would get a cool reception.  They were friendly alright but when housing was mentioned they all clammed up as if I was asking for a donation.
     I am going to see the "Fighting Seabees" tonight and then to bed after a little work on my course.
     How is everything with you?  I haven't received any letter as yet.  Hope nothing is wrong.  Will make a point of investigating those three bedroom flats this week and when you come down next week I am sure everything will be settled.
     We got a new dental officer today and they made room here by sending one of the other doctors to the auxiliary clinic. Nothing else to gab about.  I am looking forward to a swell weekend.
Your love,
Gil









No comments:

Post a Comment