Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Commendation

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 22 September 1945, 12:15 AM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweetheart, here I am. Still in Okinawa just wondering what gives next. I had a busy morning with three patients from a LCI (landing craft infantry) and two from an LCT (landing craft tank). In the afternoon one patient from a tug. Besides that I had a few of our own men so I had a full day. The new flagship for Service Squadron Ten is here so all we only we have on board at present are about 200 men and officers. Not enough to keep me busy.
     I read for awhile this afternoon and then showered and dressed for chow. After chow I played a few games of checkers and then went to the movie. We had Gloria Jean in "Remember April" and it wasn't too good. After the movie I sat in on another poker game and won $13.75. When a guy like me can win consistently the others must be mighty poor poker players. Anyway I'm ahead about $20 so I'll play along for awhile.
     I hit another jackpot in the mail today. I got six more letters from you postmarked 5, 7, 8, 8, 15 and 15.
     Rosh Hashanah came and went without me even knowing about it. I still think my prospects of coming home soon are good. It's quite a job to keep your spirits up and mine as well. Believe me, being out here has been no Sunday school picnic. The past week-end was really hellish. However I learned today that I'm getting a commendation from the captain for my part in keeping the ship going while we were in extreme danger. I'd rather have orders back to my Sweet and I'd just as soon never to have experienced the storm, but it is over and done with. All aboard came through safe and sound. This isn't official but I understand that over four hundred men were lost in the storm and that sixty-three ships from LST's and up were blown up onto the beach or reef. In addition many small craft were wrecked and some are still unaccounted for.
     You may you remember "Hurricane." Well this blow was every bit as bad and we were right in the center of it. I don't know why I keep talking about it except that we were so lucky to come through the way we did.
     The pictures of Norma are swell-elegant. Really, "Little Stinky" looks just like she did fourteen months ago though I suppose she is somewhat taller.
     That is thirty for tonight so I'll say goodnight to my one and only love, See you in my dreams.
Devotedly,
Gil

The commendation dated 18 September 1945


Hurricane--The Movie


Link to scenes from The Hurricane 




No comments:

Post a Comment