Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Every Minute Drags

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 26 September 1945, 11:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another day gone. Another day less of being apart. Now that it looks like we will be on our way home soon every day, every hour, yes every minute seems to drag.
     Today was mostly a day of loafing. With about 250 men aboard there is little to keep me busy. I saw two patients this morning and one after lunch. That is all.
     I took a shirt and pair of trousers down to the tailor for some mending and had the gold braid put on my blue coat. I tried the coat on and it fits just right. So I guess I've held my own as far as weight is concerned.
     I got five more letters today. Two were of the 19th and three of the 14th. Your plans for Mexico sound swell but I was just waiting to hear what you would do about our girls. We'll change our minds more than once and we'll have time to talk it over when I get back. You see, it'll take from one to two weeks to decommission before I can go on leave.
     About leave--leave after overseas duty is limited to thirty days. However leave is cumulative, thirty days for each year of duty. By the time I get home I'll have almost sixty days leave due me, but the most I could take then would be thirty days. I would get the balance plus any additional time (2-1/2 days for each month of service) as separation leave. Anyway, as I explained above we'll have time to talk things over when I get back and decide what to do depending on the conditions at the time.
     About the Buick. I don't know what it'll cost to fix her up but I'd think twice about a new car. If our car sells for a high price so will the new cars. As our car depreciates, the prices on new cars will go down. Please dear, don't do anything foolish or hasty. I know of many other places where we can spend money to better advantage than on a new car. Don't do anything till I get home.
     We had another excellent movie tonight. It was "Christmas in Connecticut" with Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan. This is another movie I recommend for you to see.
     Today's mail also brought some additional snaps and they're well. I can't wait to see my family in the flesh.
     No more for now Sweet, so goodnight and sleep tight.

Love,
Gil 





No comments:

Post a Comment