Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Arms and Legs in Casts

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 15 June 1945, 10:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Just another day far away from the one I love. Worked as usual all morning. After lunch three of us took a boat over to the hospital to see Jim Lyons. Poor fellow he is in bed with both forearms and both legs in casts and will remain so for 90 to 120 days. In spite of it all he is quite cheerful and making the best of a very unpleasant situation. We visited with him for an hour and then returned to the ship. 
     There was no work for me to do because it was field day. So I stripped down to my skivvies and censored a stack of mail. Then I read from "Saratoga Trunk," showered and dressed.
     I sent off an air mail package with a little something I made for each of my girls. I do think the chain on Norma's gift is too heavy so if you like you can have a finer one put on. Both of the kiddies' gifts are made from coconut shell. Yours, you'll be able to tell more about when you see it. I've still got some other ideas about the coconut shell and will see what comes of it.
     The mail service has been very poor lately. Guess the mail planes have been grounded because of adverse weather conditions. I did get one letter today dated June 5. I received the 4th three days ago.
     I see you are still teaching. Well, vacation will be here soon and you'll get a long rest. Maybe by the time school opens again I'll be home. One never can tell.
     I'm sure Norma's party will be or should I say was a great success. I'm sure missing plenty but we'll re-celebrate all these occasions as we've planned.
     We had an old but excellent movie tonight, "Fired Wife" with Louise Allbritton and Diana Barrymore. We saw it together long ago.
     Well Sweet, I'm all done for tonight so bye and pleasant dreams.
Love,
Gil

Was Jim Lyons aboard this hospital ship?




No comments:

Post a Comment