Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Capital

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 7 June 1945, 11:05 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am a little late but still, I made it. This morning was the usual deal of working on patients. At 11:30 I took charge of the liberty party and we shoved off. Dr. Bushyager and the exec came along.   On the way to the recreation area, we all had lunch with Joe Goldfarb on his ship. I brought along the lox and gefilte fish, and the doctor brought some liver paste. That was our appetizer. We made the beach at 1:15. I logged in the recreation party and passed out the beer. Then my time was my own until 4:30.
     I went back aboard the LCI and we ran over to the town across the bay. This town happens to be the capital of the island and boasts several larger buildings badly in need of paint. The town itself would compare as second best to the place in Mexico where the Weinstein's uncle and aunt lived. Remember? No paved streets and no sewers. Just deep ditches on both sides of the road. The houses are old and run down and look dirty. Yet the natives looked surprisingly clean. The men and women wore a good deal of white and their clothes looked fresh and really white. I'm going to find out how they launder their stuff because soaps and bleaches are at a premium out here. We tramped around for over two hours, looking and shopping but bought nothing. I'm getting a line up on values and the next time we go over I'll probably buy some things for my three sweethearts at home.
     We got back to the beach and picked up the recreation party and arrived at our ship at 6:00 PM. After dinner until the movies, I played cribbage with the skipper and two officers. The picture tonight was an oldie but enjoyable "Hail the Conquering Hero."
     After the movie we all went up to the wardroom for little farewell get together for Dan Graves who is leaving in a couple of days. We had a great big cake and enough ice cream. I made a pig of myself as did most of the others. Now here I am.
     There was no mail today so I'm just about run out of words. Oh yes, you asked about our chaplain. Well we are ready for him but the lord alone knows where he is or if we'll even get one. It has been recommended and approved but so far nothing has materialized.
     No more for now my love so I'll just say "nite-nite." Loving you as always.

Your sleepy husband,

Gil

Tacloban 
The Capital












No comments:

Post a Comment