Friday, February 24, 2017

Officially a Lieutenant

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 16 June 1945, 10:50 PM
My Dearest,
     Hello Darling, tomorrow I will officially be a lieutenant with pay and allowances as of June 1. The ALNAV finally came through and I took my physical this afternoon. As of now you can drop the (j.g.) from my address.
     Today was just the usual Saturday morning with plenty of work and cleaning to prepare for captain's inspection. This morning I had a slight rawness of my throat so I've been taking sulphadiazine. I feel 4.0 tonight. I've learned that preventative treatment is much better than waiting until my throat gets sore. I've not had a sore throat since I left the United States.
     This afternoon I censored mail, attended to some welfare work and then read "Saratoga Trunk" for awhile. Then I showered and dressed for dinner. After chow a dental officer reporting to one of the other ships here came aboard looking for information and transportation. I arranged for a message to be sent to his ship and fixed him up with a bunk for tonight. Then we went to the movies to see "Santa Fe Trails" with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. It was so old it was new again. It's a story about John Brown and his fight to free the slaves, remember?
     If I were home tomorrow we would go out and celebrate my promotion, but as it is I'll probably stay aboard. However I'm planning to go ashore on Monday and bend the elbow a few times.
     No more for now so goodnight my darling until tomorrow.
Yours always,
Gil

Promotion to Lieutenant

Result of Physical 




Newspaper Article





No comments:

Post a Comment