Saturday, February 18, 2017

Smoking a Cigar

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 13 June 1945, 7:10 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello my Darling, here is that guy again. At present I'm smoking a cigar so draw your own conclusions.
     At 8:00 AM three of us shoved off for town. Each had with a particular errand. I had the job of lining up a USO show. Though I got nothing definite I did get a promise for next week. So I'll have to check up on it later. We got back at noon just in time for lunch.
     After chow, just to make a day of it, I joined a group going over to the club for a few drinks and now you can see the results. We got back at 6:00 and had a late dinner at 6:30. Someone gave me a cigar. Who I don't know but I'm smoking it anyway.
     When I returned, I had expected some mail. No luck. Hope tomorrow does better by me.
     The movie tonight is Bob Hope in "My Favorite Blonde." I think I've seen it before but hope it will be just as good a second time.
     We still don't have a copy of that particular ALVAV but I know it's out and the communications officer promised to have a copy for the old man (captain) tomorrow. Then I'll be a lieutenant officially.
     Nothing more for now so I'd better sign off before I say something foolish. "Nite-nite" my Sweet. I'll do better tomorrow night.
Love,
Gil

Gil in front of Officers' Club







No comments:

Post a Comment